FIREFIGHTERS were called out to tackle a blaze at a waste treatment facility at Kilbagie Mill last week.

At around 8.06am on Thursday (27 December) Central Scotland Fire and Rescue Service received a call about the fire at the depot in Kincardine, operated by management and recycling company Oran Environmental Solutions.

Seventeen appliances were initially sent out to deal with the fire which occurred in a large warehouse containing recyclable material, such as clothing, mattresses and waste paper.

Fire crews provided protective spray jets to save surrounding properties and by Thursday afternoon nine fire appliances were on scene supported by Duty Officers.

Motorists had been advised by Central Scotland Police to reduce their speed, as smoke was blowing across both north and southbound carriageways near the A876 Kilbagie and Higgins Neuk roundabouts.

Scottish Power engineers were called out as a safety precaution but there were no issues to report and the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) has also been on hand.

John W Burns, technical support manager for SEPA said, "SEPA is aware of an extensive warehouse fire at the site of the ORAN Industrial Waste Services plant in Clackmannanshire. SEPA's Airborne Hazards Emergency Response team has been deployed to monitor air quality and particulates on site. SEPA is also monitoring the impact of any fire water run-off on local watercourses." West Fife Villages councillor Willie Ferguson said the building was the former Kilbagie paper mill.

Clackmannanshire East councillor Irene Hamilton, vice convener of Central Scotland Fire Board, congratulated the fire service on their response to the incident and said, "I'm relieved that no-one was hurt, but it's concerning that such a significant fire has happened at a local firm and major employer." At the time of going to print (Friday) approximately 24 firefighters were still on scene continuing to dampen down and turn over, alongside three ground appliances and one aerial platform.

Chief fire officer with Central Scotland Fire and Rescue Service, Kenneth Taylor, said on Thursday, "Given the scale of combustible material involved it's likely this incident will be protracted with crews having to remain on scene over the next day or two for damping down. We do hope however to be able to make inroads over the next few hours in order that we can reduce the extent of the smoke plume.

"We are working with all our partners including, the police, SEPA, representatives from Oran, Scottish Power and Clackmannanshire Council to assist in bringing about a resolution." No-one has been injured and all staff are safe. There are no public health risks related to the dissipating smoke plume. Oran Environmental Solutions were unavailable for comment when going to print.