A MAN has narrowly avoided a prison sentence for threatening to stab police officers after assaulting one of them.

Kieran Wozniak, of High Street, Alloa, appeared at Alloa Sheriff Court on Thursday on a number of charges which included sending an obscene message to his former girlfriend.

Susannah Hutchison, prosecuting, told the court that the 24-year-old was at Falkirk police station on November 11when he started banging his head off the wall and was subsequently taken to Forth Valley Royal Hospital.

Ms Hutchison continued: “He became anxious and was shouting and was taken into a room by officers where he started struggling with them. He began spitting, not on them but near them and then kicked one of the officers on the thigh.”

Wozniak began uttering threats and shouting abuse at the officers including: “My next challenge is f***ing stabbing one of you,” “I will find you and f***ing get you,” as well as calling one of the female officers a “f***ing slag”.

He eventually calmed down after being restrained by officers. His response to caution and charge was: “Just f*** off. I can’t even mind being there.”

He was also facing a charge of sending a social media message to his former partner, and mother of his child, which was menacing and obscene. The message contained offensive remarks and threats of violence.

Claire McCarron, who was representing him, told the court that her client had “no recollection” of the incident.

Ms McCarron added that “when he is sober, it is hard to envisage him being like that”.

The court also heard that the accused was “remorseful” and that all of his offending had been based around alcohol and drug misuse.

“He has not offended since he last saw his ex-partner who he was in a toxic relationship with for years,” said Ms McCarron.

Sheriff David Mackie told Wozniak that his behaviour towards public servants was “intolerable” and that custody had to be considered. However, he added that prison would prevent Wozniak from getting the help that he is currently receiving in relation to his drug and alcohol issues. Instead, he was given a restriction of liberty order. For two months, he must remain indoors between the hours of 8pm and 5am every night. The hours will be shortened for the two remaining months of the order.