A SEX offender who repeatedly assaulted young women in a series of "worrying and escalating" attacks has been detained at a Young Offenders Institute.

Adam Anderson, 19, appeared in two different courts over two consecutive days, to face sentencing for attacks against women and children.

His first appearance was at Stirling Sheriff Court on Wednesday, November 28, where he was sentenced for sexually assaulting a 23-year-old and a 17-year-old on July 8 and August 9, respectively.

In the first incident, the woman was emerging from an underpass near Wallace Street in Stirling when Anderson smacked her buttocks with his hand before leaving the area.

In the second incident, Anderson followed the teenage girl home from Alloa train station for some time, before seizing her buttocks with both hands outside her front door.

Both women gave evidence during a trial at Stirling court on November 19, with the younger victim breaking down as she described the "disgusting" incident.

Despite maintaining his innocence throughout, Anderson was found guilty of both sexual assault by Sheriff Simon Collins.

In passing sentence on Wednesday, Sheriff Collins said: "I see a worrying and escalating pattern of sexual offending towards young women."

He was particularly concerned about the assault on the 17 year-old, who he stated was left "deeply traumatised and upset".

Despite a submission from Anderson's lawyer, Stan Quirk, that he should be released from custody to undergo a "lengthy" supervision period, the sheriff imposed a custodial sentence.

Anderson was sentenced to a total of six months' detention at HMYOI Polmont, with the sentence backdated to his first day in custody on November 19.

The following day, Anderson then appeared before Sheriff David Mackie at the Alloa court, to be sentenced for attacking two children, aged 13 and 14, on March 25.

During the incident, the two young girls were walking home from McDonald's in Alloa when Anderson slapped their buttocks as he barged between them.

Anderson then stopped at a bus stop ahead of the girls, before allowing them to pass and proceeding to grab their buttocks.

Similar to the Stirling cases, Anderson maintained his innocence and the incident went to trial at the Alloa court on October 31, where Sheriff Mackie found him guilty.

He then told him: "The young women of Clackmannanshire should know they do not have to be subject to that behaviour."

On Thursday, November 29, Anderson's lawyer said that despite still maintaining his innocence, he is someone looking to address the causes of his offending.

The defence added: "He doesn't feel he is coping very well in custody, and that's been a wake up call for him."

Sheriff David Mackie gave Anderson a Community Payback Order with a period of three years' supervision, and he will be added to the Sex Offenders Register for the duration of that period.