A REWARD has been offered for information after it was claimed a cat had been poisoned with anti-freeze in Tillicoultry.

The little kitten lived with a family in Upper Mill Street, but unfortunately had to be put to sleep earlier this month.

Its family brought it to a vet for help, but the deadly substance was ultimately too much.

The cat was originally a stray which had been rejected by its mother, so the family, who regularly take in strays, looked after it and hand-fed it from just days old.

In addition, the family who owned the cat have claimed three other moggies have poisoned by the blue liquid and fear there may be an agenda against them.

A reward has been offered by Shirley Macmillan, who owns Safe Paws dog centre in Stirling, and has even offered to double the reward if anyone is charged by the police in connection to the incident.

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said: "We are very sorry to hear of this sad incident. Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is one of the most common causes of cat poisoning, particularly in the winter months. The liquid is usually colourless and odourless, but it has a sweet taste that appeals to cats.

“By the time symptoms occur, such as vomiting, lethargy and, in the latter stages, head shaking and coma, it is normally too late to treat. Renal failure is most often the cause of death, with irreparable damage to the kidneys.

“It may be that people have been servicing their cars in preparation for cold weather. Changing the coolant can result in spills so we urge drivers to take extra care and to dispose of antifreeze properly.

“Pet owners in the area should be vigilant when letting their cats out of the house, and should supervise their animals where possible.”

The Advertiser contacted police but officers said they had no record of any animal-related crimes in Tillicoultry.

Cats Protection’s guide to keeping cats safe is available to download from their website.