click to enlarge
Garages and cars were burnt out in the blaze at Kellywood Crescent in Kincardine which threatened to set fire to nearby homes.
Picture: David Robertson
A FAMILY had to be evacuated from their home after a massive fire ripped through three wooden garages just yards from where they slept.
The couple were woken shortly before midnight by neighbours banging on their windows as the flames scorched the roof of the house.
They escaped out of the front window and once outside could only watch as the inferno engulfed the garages and their garden shed.
Fire crews from Dunfermline and Alloa battled the fire in Kellywood Crescent, Kincardine, for more than an hour as it destroyed the lock-up garages with two vehicles inside.
Residents have been left shocked by the events that unfolded last Wednesday.
One told the Advertiser, "If the garages further down had caught fire I've no doubt in my mind that the house roof would have gone up too. There is an electrical power substation beside the garages and it doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened if the fire had struck there.
"The family were lucky to escape. The whole street was out and people were banging on the windows to wake them up."
Firefighters were called to the scene about 11.34pm and arrived to find three out of a row of six large wooden garages well alight as well as a nearby garden shed.
One of those garages belonged to elderly couple Alexander (77) and Kathleen (76) Watterson who witnessed their nine-month old Ford Fiesta go up in smoke.
They were alerted by neighbours who saw the blaze on returning from the local bowling club.
Mr Watterson said, "They told me there was smoke billowing from the garage. The fire brigade were very quick and tried to keep my garage safe but it was impossible. The whole thing went up. You could hear the explosions as the car tyres went."
His wife added, "We only had the car for nine months. The insurance man asked if it was driveable - I told him it's only a shell."
The area was sealed off on Thursday as investigators examined the scene.
Mrs Watterson went on, "It's just come as such a shock. It's a relatively quiet part of the village. We're not used to something like this happening around here but friends and neighbours couldn't have been nicer. The police, fire brigade, even the council who we rent the plot from, have been a great help."
Fife Police this week confirmed that two men have been arrested in connection with the fire.
Detective Sergeant Chris Mill said, "I would like to thank the public for their assistance in this case.
"Two men from Central Scotland appeared from custody on Monday in relation to this case, at Dunfermline Sheriff Court."
This article appeared in Alloa & Hillfoots Advertiser 18 May 11
Alloa & Hillfoots Advertiser Poll
Do you agree with the introduction of a 'Bedroom Tax'?
This Poll is now closed.