Now I can move on

Published: 14 Dec 2012 09:30

A Clackmannanshire woman says she is ready to move on with her life after the man who sexually abused her as a child was put behind bars.

Lesleyann Lawrie was abused by Alloa man Joseph Glass when she was between the ages of five and eight.

Now that Glass (62), of Engelen Drive, has been jailed for five years, brave Lesleyann - also of Alloa - feels she is able to leave her trauma in the past.

And she has waived her anonymity to let others know they don't have to suffer alone.

Glass was imprisoned on 16 August

after a trial at Glasgow High Court.

He was also found guilty of carrying out indecent acts on another victim, then aged between three and five, as well as two counts of making threats to kill an individual.

All offences took place between 1 February 1988 and 24 September 1990 in Alloa.

Lesleyann came forward in December 2010. After years battling with what happened, the mum of two decided she was strong enough to speak up - partly because of her concern that it could happen to someone else.

The 30-year-old was also given the courage by becoming a mother herself.

Lesleyann said, "When I was younger I was getting into trouble with the police and self-harming.

"But once I had my oldest it opened my eyes a bit because I thought I couldn't let him see me like this."

Just before Christmas in 2010 she approached the police by way of a letter. They investigated her assertions and court proceedings then got under way.

Now, she feels vindicated and ready to live the rest of her life.

She told the Advertiser, "The day they phoned me to say that he had been jailed I felt like I was on top of the world because somebody believed me, and I had got it

all out."

She now has a lot more self-confidence and can go out to the shop on her own - something she wouldn't have done before.

"I wish I had spoke out sooner than now," she said. "I think people should speak out but it is easier said than done.

"If it's happened to somebody I'd say just speak up. It's not easy to do but just get it out and don't keep it to yourself because it's not easy.

"I thought what if nobody believed me and what if people thought I had made it up."

Now Lesleyann has some closure, "Obviously it's still going to be at the back of my head but you can move on. Now that something's been done I can put it behind me and move on now. After this I have finally realised it wasn't my fault"

Lesleyann now wants to help others stuck in a similar plight - using her own personal experiences by taking on voluntary work to help victims.

She explained, "I thought there was nobody out there who could help me. I'd like to volunteer because of all the help I got when I was speaking to somebody who had gone through the same thing.

"Because it's happened to myself I think I can help others because I think I can understand."

Jump to first paragraph.

Get more stories from our Roundup section

16 Apr 2014 17:00

Free coffee mornings to discuss NHS services

FREE coffee mornings are being organised for older adults and carers across Clackmannanshire to provide information and advice on a range of local services.

Social:

16 Apr 2014 12:00

District Digest

FIND out what's taking place within the communities of Clackmannanshire.

Social:

16 Apr 2014 11:59

Advertiser Clubs & Societies

CHECK out the clubs and societies that run in and around Clackmannanshire.

Social:

15 Apr 2014 14:00

Mash destruction on A977 at Forestmill

HUNDREDS of potatoes were spilled across the A977 this morning after a lorry caught fire.

Social:

14 Apr 2014 10:00 • Ashleigh Burns

Extra support for Forth Valley families affected by drugs and alcohol

FAMILIES in Forth Valley affected by drugs and alcohol are to get extra support to help them on the road to recovery.

12 Apr 2014 09:30 • Ashleigh Burns

Take on the Bupa Great Women's 10k for Action for Children Scotland

WEE County runners are being urged to sign up for the Bupa Great Women’s 10k now, to get fit for charity.

11 Apr 2014 17:00

Advertiser business: Forth Valley Chamber of Commerce shows its support

FORTH Valley Chamber of Commerce this week became the first Chamber of Commerce in Scotland to sign the Corporate Covenant, formally agreeing to actively support the employment of reservists.

11 Apr 2014 16:30 • Ashleigh Burns

The Simon & Garfunkel Story hits Stirling

THERE are few who haven’t heard of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

11 Apr 2014 16:30

A wee bit fabulous, with lifestyle editor Mhairi Clarke

BEAUTY, fashion, food, cocktails and advice with Mhairi Clarke.

11 Apr 2014 13:30

Wingin’ It comes to Stirling

SCOTTISH instrumental folk guitar duo Wingin’ It are dropping in on Stirling this month.

11 Apr 2014 12:30

What's on at the Leisure Bowl

CHECK out what's on at the Leisure Bowl in Alloa.

11 Apr 2014 12:30

New exhibition at The Maker’s Gallery & Bistro

A NEW, spring exhibition designed to awaken and uplift the senses has opened in Alloa – featuring a collaborative showcase of creativity from Scottish artists and crafters.

11 Apr 2014 12:30 • Hamish Hutchinson

Moncrieff BB drill teams enjoy success

SOME of the members of the victorious Moncrieff Church Boys’ Brigade drill teams, which took the honours in the recent Battalion Senior and Junior drill competitions.

11 Apr 2014 12:30

MP Gordon Banks donates Alloa Half-Marathon proceeds

MP Gordon Banks has donated the proceeds of his Alloa Half-Marathon run to a local charity, writes Michelle Henderson.

Social: Comments1 comment

11 Apr 2014 10:30

What's Ons

WHAT'S going on in and around the county.

11 Apr 2014 10:30 • Jenness Mitchell

Opening More Doors donates £5200 to Homestart Clackmannanshire

OPENING More Doors has donated an outstanding £5200 to Homestart Clackmannanshire throughout 2014 to help with its valuable work in the community.

11 Apr 2014 10:00

Prize Pet

MEET this week's prize pet: Freud.

11 Apr 2014 09:30

Alloa keeper Scott Bain says Alloa cannot afford to feel sorry for themselves after a 4-1 SPFL Championship defeat at the hands of Dumbarton

GOALKEEPER Scott Bain says Alloa cannot afford to feel sorry for themselves after a 4-1 mauling at the hands of Dumbarton at the Bet Butler Stadium last weekend.

11 Apr 2014 09:00 • Jenness Mitchell

BBC hopeful added to T in the Park list

BBC Sound of 2014 nominee Chloe Howl will be bouncing in Balado this summer, writes Jen Mitchell.

11 Apr 2014 09:00 • Jenness Mitchell

Clackmannanshire kids showcase new fashion for M&Co

THREE Clacks kids strutted their stuff for M&Co.