A MAN who tried to break into the house of his former partner and threatened to harm himself has avoided further jail time.

Graham Henderson, of Ramsay Terrace, Tillicoultry, tendered a plea of guilty on June 12 to two charges in relation to an incident which took place two days before.

He admitted acting in a threatening or abusive manner at the home of his former partner on Schawpark Avenue in Sauchie. He then attempted to gain entry to the property by climbing in an open window.

Henderson then repeatedly struck the windows, shouted, swore and continued to act in an aggressive manner.

The charge also states that he held a knife against his own arm and uttered threats to harm himself.

Later on that day at Forth Valley Royal Hospital, the 29-year-old uttered threats of violence while shouting and swearing.

Henderson appeared at Alloa Sheriff Court last Thursday and was told his final sentencing would be deferred for reports and to assess his suitability for the Caledonian programme – which is designed to rehabilitate domestic offenders.

The accused was only released from prison on October 23, in respect to a separate matter, and his lawyer Kelly Howe told the court that custody was not an experience he enjoyed.

She said: "He is willing to participate on the Caledonian programme now. He did not enjoy his first spell in prison.

"Since he has been released he has accepted she is an ex-partner. He remained in her company for an hour and a half and she wants to let him see his kids."

A criminal justice social work report recommended that Henderson be given an anti-social behaviour order (ASBO), although he disputes any need for it.

Ms Howe said that imposing an ASBO could potentially do more harm than good by complicating any access he currently has to his children.

Sheriff David Mackie agreed that such an order was not necessary, likening its remit to using "a sledgehammer to crack a walnut".

The sheriff told Henderson that he was glad things were going better for him at the moment, although he stated that the accused would still not be allowed to enter Schawpark Avenue, where his former partner currently resides.

He sentenced him to a community payback order with a two years of supervision plus a requirement to enrol on the Caledonian programme.