Alloa Athletic.....….....2
Stirling Albion….........0

Pre-season friendly

ALLOA continued their preparations for the new season with a friendly victory over local rivals Stirling Albion at the Indodrill Stadium.

In an entertaining game, goals from Declan McDonald and Ryan Hoggan were enough to separate the sides.

Jim Goodwin used two different teams during the encounter, with several trialists taking to the field for the Wasps.

Alloa started brightly and Garry Fleming, who netted twice against Celtic’s development side on Saturday, glanced a header just over Cammy Binnie’s crossbar.

Craig Malcolm then went even closer, heading onto the bar with the Albion number one beaten.

The home side were on top and should have taken the lead when Kevin Cawley latched onto a lovely flicked ball from Fleming, only for Binnie to deny him with a superb save.

All the action was happening in front of the Binos’ goal, and the visitors were fortunate not to fall behind once again when Binnie’s clearance was charged down by Malcolm, the ball rebounding just wide of the post.

Stirling were still a threat and Craig McDowall had to be alert to deny Blair Henderson, his stinging drive forcing the Wasps custodian into a smart stop.

But Binnie was without doubt the busier of the two keepers, and his palms were stung yet again by Fleming’s powerful shot.

The first opening of the second half went the way of the Wasps, and again Binnie was called into action, this time getting down well to keep out a low drive from Malcolm.

The striker then spooned an effort wide before Ross Kavanagh managed to get beyond the Wasps’ defence at the other end and looked to be in on goal, but was denied by McDowall.

Former Alloa man Liam Caddis blazed a powerful drive high over the bar, while Blair Henderson almost took full advantage after putting substitute keeper Andy Wilson under pressure at a high ball.

The visitors were enjoying a good spell, and Sean Dickson was close to giving his side the lead when he beat the offside trap to meet Caddis’s looping cross, but his header sailed just wide of the target.

McDonald had a golden chance to finally put his side in front, but with Binnie a beaten man, the youngster’s shot fizzed over the bar.

At the other end, Stirling trialist Cammy McClair rattled the crossbar with a curling effort from just inside the box.

It had been a frustrating evening for both sides but the breakthrough eventually arrived with 66 minutes played. McDonald’s initial shot was blocked by Binnie, but the ball fell kindly back at his feet, and he slotted it into the bottom corner.

The Wasps immediately went in search of another and Adam Martin tested Binnie with a fine drive from distance.

But the second did arrive with 20 minutes to play. Frank McKeown got on the end of a high ball and headed it back to Hoggan, who hooked it beyond the reach of Binnie to double his side’s lead.

The final stages saw the game take on something of a pre-season feel, and although Stirling did search for a route back into it, the Wasps saw it out fairly comfortably to record a pleasing win ahead of Saturday’s final friendly against St Mirren.

ALLOA STARTING XI: McDowall, Taggart, Hetherington, Graham, Meggatt, Flannigan, Cawley, Grant, Malcolm, Fleming, Cook.

ALLOA TEAM AFTER 60 MINUTES: Wilson, Trialist, McKeown, Hoggan, Trialist, Trialist, Monaghan, Trialist, Trialist, McDonald.