ALLOA snatched victory from the jaws of defeat last Saturday as they produced a late comeback against a stuffy Forfar Athletic side.

The Wasps had been a goal behind with four minutes to play, but summer signing Kris Renton set up Kevin Cawley’s equaliser and then netted the winner in stoppage time to give his side an unlikely win.

Alloa started on the front foot and almost took the lead ten minutes in.

Cawley and Iain Flannigan combined well out on the left, and the latter was just a couple of inches away from finding the head of Renton with a cross.

David Cox went close for the visitors with a curling shot after he had worked his way down the right flank and burst into the box, the winger sending his effort just wide of the mark.

Cawley should then have done better when Alan Cook’s free kick found him unmarked at the back post, the diminutive midfielder sending his header well over the crossbar.

Daryll Meggatt was next to go close, rising to meet Cook’s corner, but he wasn’t able to get enough on the ball and could only glance it wide.

Flannigan went into the book for a late tackle on Bain which left the full-back in the heap just minutes before the interval.

Captain Andy Graham followed suit moments into the second half, picking up a yellow card for taking down Josh Peters as the forward darted into the Alloa half.

Alloa felt their opponents should have been reduced to ten men seconds later when Ousman See appeared to catch Scott Taggart with an elbow, but the referee said there was nothing doing.

And the striker poured a bag of salt into the wound when he opened the scoring five minutes into the half. Marc McCallum’s long kick found See, who had the easiest of tasks to slide the ball under the helpless Neil Parry and give his side what had seemed like an unlikely advantage.

Alloa were almost back in the game immediately, but Flannigan’s powerful shot was kept out by McCallum.

Adam Martin came off the bench and was involved immediately, drilling a shot over the bar from the edge of the box as he tried to force the issue.

There was a further blow for the Wasps as Graham was forced off with an injury – player-manager Jim Goodwin coming on to replace him for his first appearance since January.

Patrick Cregg almost added a second for Forfar, via a deflection, but Parry did well to readjust and make an excellent save.

Alloa were so close to getting back on terms midway through the second half, and Martin was in the thick of the action again.

His driving run down the left ended in a superb cross, but it was just too far ahead of Renton as the striker stretched for it.

But when it seemed as though it was too late for the Wasps to salvage anything, the equaliser arrived. Renton knocked down a high ball for Cawley, and he slammed the ball beyond McCallum to haul his side back on terms.

And they almost completed the turnaround seconds later. McCallum could only parry an effort back into the danger area, and Renton prodded it home only for the linesman’s flag to deny him his first goal for the club.

But he wasn’t to be denied in stoppage time as he grabbed the victory for his side.

Taggart’s cross fell to him after a spot of penalty-box pinball, and Renton lashed the ball into the far corner to seal victory.

The victory means the Wasps climb to seventh in the League One table, ahead of Saturday’s crunch clash with pre-season promotion rivals Ayr United at Somerset Park.

ALLOA: Parry, Taggart, Meggatt, McKeown, Graham (Goodwin), Robertson, Cawley, Hetherington (Malcolm), Renton, Flannigan, Cook (Martin). UNUSED SUBS: Fleming, McDonald, Monaghan, Wilson.