Sauchie Juniors..............0

Hurlford United.............1

Scottish Junior Cup, fifth round

SAUCHIE'S run in the Scottish Cup ended on Saturday as they lost out to Hurlford United in the last sixteen of the competition.

Paul McKenzie’s first-half strike proved the difference on a day when nothing seemed to go Sauchie’s way.

The Beechwood Park side finished the game with ten men after captain Brian Morgan was sent off for a second bookable offence in the dying moments.

Latest signing William Wells was cup-tied, but Fraser Duncan still named a strong team, with his side looking to reach the quarter finals for the second successive year.

The home side made most of the early running and David Morrison headed over the crossbar from a Morgan corner.

The skipper was a real driving force behind Sauchie’s good early play and was at the heart of things again when he linked up well with Conor Kelly, but nobody could get on the end of his dangerous cross.

The pair combined again moments later when Morgan picked Kelly out with a terrific free kick, but the striker could only direct his header over the bar.

Despite their dominance Sauchie had failed to break the deadlock and were made to pay midway through the half. They failed to deal with a low cross into the box, and McKenzie arrived unmarked to tap home from close range.

They could have been further behind when Chris Robertson found space to shoot, but Darren Dolan was equal to the effort and made a good save.

The home side responded and Ant McTaggart saw a goalbound shot deflected just over the bar thanks to some heroic defending from Hurlford.

The second half was a more even affair and Allan Jenkins warmed the palms of Dolan with a stinging effort from just outside the box.

Sauchie’s best chance came just before the hour mark, and it was one they really should have taken.

Kelly picked out McTaggart arriving late at the back post, but the midfielder sent his diving header wide from close range.

Robertson and Dolan continued their personal duel with the keeper coming out on top once again, making a fine save from the Hurlford frontman’s low drive.

Darren Cummings had scored in each round of the competition so far, and when he entered the fray he almost made an instant impact, sending a tantalising ball across the face of goal which none of his team-mates were able to get to.

Dolan was enjoying a fine game in goal, and he excelled again as he stood tall to deny Calum Watt.

Watt had had some joy wide on the left and should have capped his performance with a goal late on, but he dragged his effort wide of the target.

Sauchie had one more chance to find a route back into the game when David Grant teed up Josh Flood, but the substitute’s shot was well saved by Alistair Brown.

And in injury time, Morgan received his marching orders, picking up a second yellow card for dragging Watt back as he raced towards the box.

SAUCHIE: D. Dolan, Sharp, Syme, Houston, Hewitt, Comrie, McTaggart (Cummings), Morgan, Kelly, Grant, Morrison (Flood). UNUSED SUBS: S. Dolan, Bell.