ALLOA were left to rue another missed opportunity as they held Dunfermline Athletic to a draw on Saturday.

In a fairly uneventful game, the Wasps had the better of the chances with Dario Zanatta and Alan Trouten going close.

But, they couldn’t find the breakthrough as they continue to go in search of their opening league win of the season.

Jim Goodwin made a number of changes to the side with winger Jake Hastie returning alongside the likes of Steven Hetherington and Trouten.

And, buoyed by their superb victory over Dundee United last weekend, Alloa were full of running and drive in the opening stages.

Hastie and Zanatta, who was leading the line, looked a constant threat and the latter was the first to come close when he nodded on Liam Dick’s cross just wide.

Dunfermline, meanwhile, were struggling to control the ball in the midfield and grew increasingly frustrated with the stubborn Wasp backline.

Fifteen minutes in, Alloa had a half hearted attempt at a couple of penalty shouts when Zanatta was wrestled to the ground by Lee Ashcroft twice within thirty seconds. But, referee Mike Roncone barely paid any notice.

That was one of few moments to liven things up inside a freezing East End Park, with too often the sides’ lack of quality breaking down moves in the final third.

The home side looked to have luck on their side when, firstly, a clearance nearly fell to Myles Hippolyte, but Parry rushed off his line to block, and, secondly, when Joseph Thomson’s drive was deflected just over the crossbar.

But, it was Alloa who had the best chance of the half. A deep free kick was nodded down by Andy Graham to Zanatta. His first time volley was desperately blocked and Trouten was closed down before he could get a decent shot away.

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first, with both teams looking good until they neared one another’s penalty box.

The Wasps should have found themselves in front on the hour mark when Zanatta broke beyond the last man from a delicious Trouten through ball. But, the striker’s hesitation allowed James Craigen to get back in and block.

In a week where Goodwin had called on his side to start to take their chances, it was a huge one.

Minutes later, Trouten could have scored himself when he got onto the end of a knockdown from another deep free kick, but his connection was weak and straight at Robinson.

The two chances finally forced Dunfermline to look to their bench and Andy Ryan and Aidan Connolly, son of Paddy, were thrown on.

They nearly made an instant impact when the latter’s shot was dragged wide from the edge of the box.

But, much like in the first half, too often were both sides let down by a poor pass here and a loose touch there as neither goal really ever looked under threat.

And whenever the Pars did look close to breaking down Alloa’s resistance, Andy Graham inevitably popped up with a clearance or a block.

With ten minutes remaining, waves of Dunfermline fans began pouring out of the ground and those who had stayed were being drowned out by the small contingent of visitors.

By now, Alloa had thrown on Spence, Connor Shields and Liam Burt, but the side were sitting deeper and deeper as their part time legs began to show.

However, for all of Dunfermline’s pressure, Parry’s goal remained relatively untroubled until the end as the game petered out.

The hosts left to boos on the final whistle while Alloa left to adulation as they made it five without defeat.