A MAN has been remanded in custody after pleading guilty to smashing up a car and threatening to sexually assault a police constable’s mother.

Stephen Thomson, 27, admitted two offences of threatening or abusive behaviour whilst appearing from custody at Alloa Sheriff Court on Wednesday, May 29.

He was spotted stumbling around a Tullibody resident’s back garden just after six in the morning on the Monday earlier that week.

Depute fiscal Gail Russell said: “A witness was awoken by knocking on her door.

“She answered the door and found the accused staggering about in her back garden.

“Another neighbour went over to speak to the witness, and saw the accused shouting and swearing.”

The pair attempted to speak to Thomson, but found him to be “incoherent”.

After returning to her home, the witness then noticed that her daughter-in-law’s car had been damaged, before spotting Thomson brandishing a pole.

Police were contacted, and had to chase after him when they arrived.

As he was being taken into custody, Thomson then became threatening and abusive towards police officers.

He called one officer a “p**f”, as well as referring to another as a “s**t”, before stating to one of their colleagues: “I’m going to finger your mum”.

Thomson’s solicitor said he had “no idea” how he ended up in the area the offence was committed, or how he came to be in such an incoherent state.

However, he did accept that it was clear he was under the influence of an unknown substance.

The solicitor also stated Thomson had experienced a huge personal tragedy within his family earlier that month, and claimed he had been seeking assistance from a GP.

They then called for sentencing to be deferred so that background reports could be prepared, to better inform the court as to his client’s current state.

Sheriff Simon Collins QC said he would oblige, but said that given Thomson’s “bad” record of previous convictions, a custodial sentence would be the most likely outcome.

He then deferred sentencing Thomson, of Belshill Road in Motherwell, until later this month, and remanded him in custody until then.