A MAN has been given a supervision order to help him deal with the loss of prematurely born baby after he struggled to cope with the death.

Stephen Thomson appeared from custody at Alloa Sheriff Court last Thursday, June 20, after pleading guilty to smashing a car with a metal pole and threatening to sexually assault a woman.

He was spotted stumbling around a Tullibody resident's back garden at 6.15am on May 27, clearly under the influence.

Depute fiscal Ann Orr told the court: "A witness was awoken by knocking on her door. She answered the door and found the accused staggering about in her back garden.

"Another neighbour went over to speak to the witness, and saw the accused shouting and swearing."

The pair attempted to speak to Thomson, but found him to be "incoherent".

After hearing noises from outside, the witness observed Thomson "striking" a car with a metal pole while shouting and swearing.

Police were contacted, and had to chase after him when they arrived.

As he was being taken into custody, Thomson then became threatening and abusive towards police officers.

He called one officer a "p**f", as well as referring to another as a "s**t". He then threatened to sexually assault an officer's mother.

Mr Gilmour, representing Thomson, told the court that his client had "no idea" how he came to be in Clackmannanshire as he has no ties to the area and resides in Motherwell.

However, he did accept that it was clear he was under the influence of an unknown substance.

The defence agent added that just three days before the incident, Thomson and his partner's prematurely born son sadly passed away.

He said: "The issue of grief is one which is still going on," adding that his client had an appointment with a counsellor to seek help, but missed it as he was in custody as a result of this incident.

Sheriff David Mackie then told Mr Gilmour that the author of a criminal justice social work report expressed a "lack of confidence" that Thomson would comply with supervision, although the lawyer stated the accused now realises he needs help to deal with his issues.

The sheriff then expressed his condolences to Thomson and his partner, who was in the courtroom, before telling him that he needs to see supervision as a support rather than a punishment.

He was given 12 months of supervision and a three-month restriction of liberty order.