A MAN who abducted and strangled his partner in a "serious and sustained" attack has been jailed for two years.

Barry Gibson was told the severity of his offences and his lengthy criminal record meant the custodial sentence was inevitable when he appeared at Stirling Sheriff Court on Friday, July 12.

Earlier this year, a jury found the 35-year-old guilty of several horrific charges of domestic abuse, committed against his then partner.

These included a charge of assaulting the woman to her injury by strangling her, seizing her in a headlock, and searching her pockets in an attempt to steal her car keys on October 4 last year.

He then breached his bail conditions and became abusive towards the same woman by approaching and threatening her in Clackmannan on January 11.

On the same date, he abducted her by locking her inside a property in the town, hiding the house keys, and taking her phone "to prevent her from calling for help".

During the abduction incident, he seized hold of the woman and pinned her against several doors or walls within the property.

Gibson was also convicted of a separate charge of "abducting" two children during the same incident.

In court on Friday, solicitor Robert Smith intimated that Gibson had told the author of a background report that he did not accept the jury's verdict.

However, he claimed his client had now come to terms with the fact he was guilty of the offences.

He then revealed that Gibson had 13 previous convictions, two of which were domestically aggravated.

The defence agent told the court: "He has issues that will not go away unless he addresses them.

"There is a recommendation of [him completing] the Caledonian Men's Programme [for male domestic abusers].

"It's something he would be more than willing to attend."

Sheriff Wylie Robertson claimed Gibson could only complete the programme if a non-custodial sentence was imposed.

But given the seriousness of the offences, he said that a prison sentence was the only "appropriate" option.

The sheriff described the attack in October last year as a "serious and sustained assault".

He then jailed Gibson, whose address was listed as HMP Barlinnie, for 24 months, backdated to January 14 when he was first remanded in custody.

The sheriff also granted a non-harassment order for a period of two years, and said: "If you breach that order, you face up to five years in prison."