THE planning permission to redevelop the iconic former local authority offices in Alloa has officially lapsed, Clackmannanshire Council confirmed.

Concerns over the state of Greenfield House, a B-listed property situated in its namesake park, have been growing over the past years as plans to turn it into sheltered housing and flats have stalled.

Kapital Residential Ltd was given permission in 2016 and despite assurances that work on the revamped building could be finished around this time next year, the inaction means the property remains a derelict.

With the original permission out of date, owners would have to apply again should they wish to eventually take the development forward.

A spokeswoman for Clackmannanshire Council confirmed: “On October 10, 2019, Clackmannanshire Council formally confirmed to the owner of Greenfield House that planning permission (reference 16/00068/FULL) lapsed on August 26, 2019.

“Further planning permission will therefore be required for any future development of Greenfield House.

“The council, in respect of regulatory powers relating to Planning and Building Standards legislation, will continue to monitor the condition of Greenfield House in order to determine whether the serving of statutory notices is required to maintain or repair the building.”

Greenfield House used to serve as the headquarters of the local authority, which sold it off after it moved to its current base at the former mill of Kilncraigs.

Kapital Residential’s plans were originally for 42 sheltered housing flats and six flats with alterations including partial demolition and a three-storey extension.

The decision to permit the development was issued on August 25, 2016.

The property, which is fenced off, is now marked as “at risk” on the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland, maintained by Historic Environment Scotland.

The register, which classed the building’s condition as “poor”, said after a visit this April: “Acts of vandalism are apparent in a number of broken window glazings.

“From what could be viewed the roofs appear to be in fair condition generally but with slipped slates evident.

“Rainwater goods are in poor condition – blocked and damaged in places.

“Walls are also in poor condition with dampness evident in various places – plants are establishing.”

Greenfield House, as Advertiser columnist Valerie Forsyth wrote previously, was built between 1892-94 and was once home to the mill-owning Patons.

The property went into public ownership when Alloa Burgh Council acquired it in 1952 and the modern extension was added in 1987.

The building was Clackmannanshire Council’s headquarters until 2014 when it moved into the converted Kilncraigs mill, which was also owned by the Patons.