AN ALLOA man who barricaded himself in his home before unleashing vile racial insults towards police has been jailed.

John Burns was in the dock at Alloa Sheriff Court last week where he faced sentencing for two charges against him.

Lindsay Brooks, depute fiscal, told the court that at 10pm, on October 26, Burns was with his partner at their Maree Court home when an argument began between the pair.

The accused became angry and was asked to leave by the complainer. However, he refused, causing her to phone the police to have him removed before she took refuge in a neighbour’s home.

As officers arrived the complainer told them she did not want to make a formal complaint and informed them that the front door was locked so they would have to go around the back.

When they got there they were met by an “extremely angry” Burns standing at the window which he started throwing DVDs and ceramic plates out of, causing police to retreat.

Burns then laughed and shouted: “F*** off p******,” before making his way to a room upstairs and barricading himself in.

When he was eventually arrested and taken to Falkirk Police Office, officers described him as acting like a “wild animal” in his cell.

He proceeded to utter vile comments at officers before stating that “all n*****s should hang”.

Larissa Milligan, defending the 39-year-old, told the court her client had taken a number of prescription pills that day and “did not know why he reacted that way”, but did cite the “stress” he was under at the time as a potential factor.

Ms Milligan went on to say that Burns now acknowledges his behaviour was “frightening and dangerous”, describing it as “simply unacceptable” before pleading with Sheriff Simon Collins to deal with the case with a community payback order.

There was a reference to earlier trauma in his life within a criminal justice social work report, which Burns apparently now wanted assistance to help deal with.

Sheriff Collins, however, told the defence agent: “I would have been thinking custody for this matter before looking at his previous. He has an appalling record.”

The sheriff jailed Burns, whose street address was given as Maree Court, for a period of 10 months.