A MAN who spat blood into a police officer's mouth during the peak of the coronavirus pandemic will be sentenced later this month.

Stephen Bell admitted committing the sickening assault while appearing from custody at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Tuesday, July 28.

He also pleaded guilty to four other charges, and the details were narrated to the court by fiscal depute Michael Maguire.

He said officers were called on April 18 this year, after 27-year-old Bell showed up at a relative's property in Tullibody and became abusive.

Bell entered the property and pursued a woman and 15-year-old child up the stairs – causing them to lock themselves in a bathroom, fearing for their own safety.

When police arrived, they found Bell with multiple injuries to his face – which they examined and concluded were minor.

They arrested him and placed him in the cage in the back of a police van, then drove him to Falkirk Police Station – with him striking the inside of the cage during the journey.

At some point officers became increasingly concerned about Bell's injuries, and opted to take him to Forth Valley Royal Hospital (FVRH) first.

After arriving at the hospital, a police constable tried to talk to him, but Bell shouted: "Don't talk to me ya black f**k."

He was then admitted to the hospital's accident and emergency department.

Mr Maguire said: "The Covid-19 pandemic was at its peak at this time".

Shortly after being admitted to hospital, Bell kicked off and started to struggle with two police constables.

During this struggle, he deliberately spat at the faces of the officers, with Mr Maguire adding: "Spittle with blood went into a police officers' mouth."

Bell's solicitor, Larissa Milligan, did not dispute any of the details narrated by the fiscal depute.

And she confirmed he admitted the two charges of threatening or abusive behaviour, one of uttering a racist remark, and two assault charges against him.

Ms Milligan went on to ask for a background report to be prepared before any sentence was imposed.

Sheriff Christopher Shead agreed a report would be needed, and ruled that Bell – a prisoner at HMP Low Moss – would remain in custody meantime.

The case will call again on August 25.