A MAN who threatened to kill police officers while in possession of a hammer claimed he should walk free from court because there was "no victim" to his crime.

Robert Stitt's claim baffled Sheriff Simon Collins QC, who said the 52-year-old would not be leaving Alloa Sheriff Court without facing some punishment.

Stitt appeared in the dock for sentencing on Thursday, November 26, having previously pleaded guilty to two charges: one of threatening behaviour, and one of obstructing police.

Prosecutor Susannah Hutchison told the court last week that both offences took place in Tullibody on November 8 last year.

Stitt called emergency services and the call handler noted a "disturbance could be heard" in the background.

Officers were dispatched to Stitt's home on Banchory Place, but he refused them entry and "immediately started shouting, issuing threats towards police".

The officers were aware there were two young children in the property, and informed Stitt they may force entry into his home due to concerns for the children's welfare.

Ms Hutchison said Stitt continued shouting, telling police he would "put a hammer through your skull" and saying, "f*** off, you've no right to be here".

Stitt then phoned police and claimed he "had a hammer ready to put right through the skull of officers" and that he would "kill every f*****g one of them".

Eventually, he allowed officers into his home, but ended up tensing his body and struggling with police while being arrested.

A hammer was later found at the top of the stairs in his home.

After hearing that narrative, Sheriff Collins QC asked Stitt – who was representing himself – what he had to say for himself.

Stitt said: "I would just like to say there was a lot of inaccuracies about what was said there.

"I said 'hello, how can I help?' I didn't immediately start shouting and swearing.

"I phoned 999 because they said they were going to kick my door down. I never made threats to officers outside.

"I said if they kick the door down, I have a hammer ready."

Stitt also said the children in the property were fine, suggested police were threatening to steal them, and said: "I thought I had rights."

Sheriff Collins QC noted Stitt pled guilty to both charges, and had no right to behave the way he did.

He then asked Stitt once again what he had to say about the charges.

Stitt said: "All I can say is I won't behave like that again.

"I say because there is no victims, I should just walk out the door."

The sheriff replied: "The police just have to take that kind of behaviour, do they?

"You're not going to walk out of here without punishment."

Sheriff Collins QC then fined Stitt £300, and ordered him to pay the penalty within 28 days.