TWO men were arrested last week in connection with the disappearance of Wee County charity cyclist Tony Parsons.

Police confirmed that the men, both aged 29-year-old, were arrested and released pending further enquiries in connection with the disappearance of the Tillicoultry man, who was last seen more than three years ago.

Since his disappearance, on Monday, October 2, 2017, there have been numerous public appeals for information by police.

The former Royal Navy submariner was on a charity bike ride and travelled from his Tillicoultry home on Friday, September 29, 2017 to Fort William.

He intended to return home by bicycle, but was reported missing a few days later.

Tony was travelling south on the A82 and was last seen outside the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, heading in the direction of Tyndrum.

Since his disappearance, Tony's son Mike Parsons has been making annual appeals for anyone with information to come forward.

This October, on the third anniversary of Tony's disappearance, he said: "None of us ever dreamt that three years ago my dad would have gone on his charity bike ride and we would never see him again.

"As a result my family and I have been left with so many unanswered questions that we have to live with every single day about where he is.

"As each special family occasion passes and seeing his grandchildren growing up without their grandad, it reminds us of the harsh reality of him not being here."

Extensive searches were carried out following the disappearance of Tony, aged 63 when gone missing.

It included a number of specialist Police Scotland resources, including the mountain rescue team, air support unit, and dog unit.

Civilian volunteers and members of Killin, Oban and Arrochar Mountain Rescue Teams have also assisted with the investigation.

This week, a Police Scotland spokesman told the Advertiser: "We can confirm that on Wednesday, 30 December, 2020, two men, both aged 29, were arrested and then released pending further enquiries in connection with the disappearance of Anthony Parsons, who was reported missing in September 2017.

"Enquiries are ongoing."