AN ALLOA man who kicked his way into his ex-partner's home at night and brandished a metal pole has been jailed for 11 months.

Paul Knox, 42, was responding to information that there was a man in the house and "loud noises" were coming from the property, a court was told.

Mrs Alex Kirk, prosecuting, said Knox had been in a relationship with the woman for about a year, but it was "said to be at an end" at the time of the incident on March 9, 2019.

The Crown agent said the complainer had been at her address, in Talisker, Tullibody, with another man, named as David McGowan, also in the house.

She told the court: "They had locked the main door and retired to bed. At about 11pm they heard a loud banging downstairs.

"Knox had attended at the flat, walked straight up to the front door, kicked open the locked door, and entered."

Both occupants got out of bed due to the noise and stood at top of the stairs where they could see Knox at the bottom, inside the front door.

"He was shouting and swearing and acting aggressively," the prosecutor added. "But they couldn't make out what he was saying."

The accused then began to walk up the stairs, at which point Mr McGowan grabbed a knife.

Knox, meanwhile, grabbed a metal pole which was inside the flat, leaning against a wall next to the front door.

Mrs Kirk said: "He lifted it and brandished it, holding it up. He was still shouting."

The fiscal depute said Mr McGowan began to make his way down the stairs towards Knox, who turned and fled.

Mrs Kirk said Mr McGowan was then seen on CCTV "running from the house in possession of two knives, giving chase until Knox was lost to sight".

Police received a 999 call from an "upset female", rushed to the flat, and found them inside.

Knox was arrested at his own home later.

Appearing in the dock at Falkirk Sheriff Court on Monday, Knox, of Greenfield Street, Alloa, pleaded guilty on indictment to committing a statutory breach of the peace.

Solicitor Erin Monaghan, defending, said Knox had been in a relationship with the woman, but they were living in separate houses and had had a falling-out.

She added that had a drug problem, and "as such their life was chaotic."

Sheriff Keith O'Mahony imposed the 11-month jail term.

The court was told that for his part in the disturbance, McGowan had also been prosecuted and sentenced to 15 months' imprisonment.