A WOMAN who slashed a man at a bus stop with a piece of broken glass has been handed a prison sentence.

Theresa Spiewak, 54, had earlier threatened to "deal with" her victim over the way he'd allegedly taken money from her teenage daughter.

The incident occurred in full view of shoppers at 4.50pm outside a tanning salon by the busy bus stops on Shillinghill, Alloa.

The 40-year-old victim was talking to friends near a set of steps when he became aware of Spiewak approaching him from across the bus concourse, Falkirk Sheriff Court was told.

Spiewak began shouting loudly, accusing him of "owing her money and phones".

Prosecutor India MacLean said: "She moved closer to [him] and he observed her pick up a piece of glass.

"Without further warning and before he had time to react she slashed the piece of glass across the left side of his face."

Ms Clark said the complainer immediately knew he had suffered a serious injury and fled in search of assistance.

Two people waiting at the bus stop saw what they thought was Spiewak punching the man, before he turned round and they saw the slash wound on his face.

The court heard the slash caused "extensive injuries" to his left cheek, with a laceration three inches long and a centimetre deep extending from his ear and following the jawline, which required 15 stitches and has left a lasting scar.

Spiewak was traced and interviewed the following day.

She admitted to police that she had been in an argument the victim, whom she alleged had been responsible for "robbing her daughter a few days prior".

Miss MacLean said: "She also stated that she'd told [the complainer] he'd be 'dealt with' in relation to his actions."

Spiewak, unemployed, a mother-of-two, of Harris Court, Alloa, appeared for sentence on Thursday, March 25, by video link from Polmont Prison.

She had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to a charge of assault to severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

The incident occurred on October 15, 2019.

Solicitor Robert Smith, defending, told the earlier hearing that according to Spiewak, the complainer, a former neighbour she had known all his life, had entered the home of her daughter, then only about 17, and taken a sum of money which the teenager had been saving up.

He said: "That came to the attention of Miss Spiewak, and she wanted to take it up with [him].

"She remembers remonstrating with him in no uncertain terms, but doesn't remember the incident in which he suffered the injury."

Sheriff Derek Hamilton jailed Spiewak for 28 months, adding: "This was a horrific assault."