A TULLIBODY man who slashed and stabbed his neighbour, leaving him with life-threatening injuries, was jailed for seven years this week.

Aaron Bridges attacked the man before carrying out a separate knife attack on a complete stranger within a month.

The incidents took place in Sauchie last year, with the matter called for sentencing at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, Tuesday, May 4.

Bridges, 24, earlier admitted attacking a man to his severe injury and the danger of his life at Schaw Court on August 21 last year by repeatedly punching him, struggling with him and striking him on the body with a knife.

He also admitted assaulting his neighbour to his severe injury, permanent disfigurement and to the danger of his life on September 19 last year at a close at Schaw Court by repeatedly striking him on the head and body with a knife.

The court heard that he had been friends with the second complainer and visited him at his home and stayed over.

Bridges, also known as Docherty, asked to speak to him outside the following morning and the men went into the close.

Advocate depute Mark McGuire said: "The accused indicated some of his belongings were missing. The complainer said that he did not know what the accused was talking about and turned away."

But as he did this Bridges slashed the man across the left side of his face. The victim seized his attacker by the throat and shouted his name to try and halt the unprovoked attack, but Bridges repeatedly stabbed him in the chest and left leg.

The complainer released his grip and fell to the floor before managing to climb back to his feet and staggering back into his home.

Bridges, who had remained silent during the attack, fled. Emergency services were called and the man was taken to hospital with a collapsed lung. He sustained eight knife wounds and his injuries were cleaned and sutured and a chest drain was inserted.

Mr McGuire said: "The physician who treated him opined that had he not received such treatment, the complainer would have died."

The prosecutor said police located Bridges at an address in Tullibody.

Bridges, whose previous convictions include carrying a knife and using a knife during a robbery, had earlier attacked the other complainer after the pair got into an argument.

The 29-year-old was walking back from a cash machine when he met Bridges with others and became involved in a row.

During a struggle Bridges stabbed him in the back before fleeing. The victim was taken to hospital and treated for the single wound.

Defence solicitor advocate Simon Whyte said Bridges was suffering from "a deteriorating state of mental health" at the time of the offences.

In sentencing, Lady Carmichael said he would have faced a sentence of 10 and a half years' imprisonment, but for his guilty pleas.

The judge told him: "You pleaded guilty to two serious assaults, both involving the use of a knife."

She also ordered that Bridges should be kept under supervision for a further three-year period to protect the public.

Bridges, a prisoner in Low Moss jail, followed the sentencing proceedings via a video link to the prison.