A DRUNKEN drugged-up thug who beat an 80-year-old man unconscious was jailed for more than two years last week.

The elderly man was on his way to pay an early morning visit to his dead wife's grave when Andrew Hendry launched his unprovoked assault in the street.

Hendry had washed down Valium and cocaine with Buckfast, vodka and Dragon Soop and was stripped to the waist before attacking the man, kicking him 16 times to the head, in Tullibody.

It has since been revealed that the Alloa man had been given a community payback order for assault only two months beforehand.

The 20-year-old who appeared for sentence at Falkirk Sheriff Court last Tuesday, held his head in his hands as video footage of the attack was shown.

Cheryl Clark, prosecuting, said the complainer had woken up at 5am on March 13 and had headed straight to Tullibody Cemetery – a routine he had followed ever since his wife died in 1999.

At around 5.30am he was walking along Stirling Road, Tullibody, half a mile from the graveyard, when Hendry – described as "intoxicated, topless, and staggering around in an aggressive manner" – began walking behind him, raising his arms as if to try to get his attention.

The OAP turned round and engaged briefly with Hendry before turning his back and starting to walk away.

Ms Clark said: "The accused then approached him and punched him twice to the head. The complainer remained on his feet, and tried to defend himself by holding his arms over his head.

"The accused then proceeded to kick him in the head five times – the fifth time knocking him to the ground.

"The accused then kicked him in the head seven more times, plus to the body. He then stood over him, shouting in his face.

"The complainer began to sit up, and the accused punched him in the head, causing him to fall back on the ground.

"He then kicked him a further four times on the head.

"The third of these kicks appeared to knock him unconscious."

Seconds earlier, a woman whose home overlooked the scene had heard a "banging" and had looked out to witness Hendry banging his head off a bus stop, before following the complainer.

He was screaming at the old man: "What's your problem? Do you want a go?"

The woman then saw the attack begin, and ran out to the aid of the complainer.

She began trying to calm Hendry down, while she was doing so police arrived and Hendry was arrested.

Ms Clark said: "He was able to advise that he had consumed Valium and cocaine, and had been drinking Buckfast, Dragon Soop and vodka, prior to the events unfolding.

"He could not recall the full events, but he kept saying: "I know it's serious; I've done something, I know I've done it, I've got a feeling'."

He added: "I'm going to the jail for this. He's an older person. I never meant for this to happen."

The complainer was taken to hospital with two black eyes – one swollen shut – a nose so bruised he could not put on his glasses, and tenderness to his chest.

Ms Clark said: "Physically he had been left with no long-term damage; however, mentally the incident has left him traumatised."

She said he now only went out when the streets were busy, and didn't feel safe walking alone any other time.

Hendry, of Ashley Terrace, admitted assault to the danger of life.

Kelly Howe, defending, said Hendry had been "exposed to alcohol and substance misuse from a very early age".

Ms Howe said: "He is still trying to process and accept the reality of his behaviour and describes it, himself, as shocking."

Imposing the 28-month jail term, Sheriff Derek Hamilton said he was "lost for words at the depravity" of the attack.

He said:"This was a truly, truly shocking incident.

"You have effectively stolen a significant, important part of this defenceless 80-year-old man's life.

"It was clear from the video that what you were doing to him could easily have endangered his life.

"You were kicking him on the head. You finished, then you went back, and you were kicking him on the head again."

DC Debbie Reid of Stirling CIC said after the case: "This was a despicable act of violence and was a completely random attack.

"At the time Hendry was under the influence of drink and drugs with his actions leaving lasting scars for the victim and his family.

"I hope that the sentence today will offer them some closure and I would like to thank the victim, along with witnesses to the incident, who assisted with our investigation."

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Hendry was arrested for an assault carried out a few months before the disgraceful attack on the 80-year-old.

Hendry appeared at Alloa Sheriff Court last Thursday, May 20, over a domestic violence incident on December 31 at Arran Court, Alloa.

The court heard that on that day he assaulted his partner by seizing her by the hair and pulling her to the ground.

And on January 1 he struck, kicked and threw household objects causing damage to them.

On Thursday, Hendry appeared at via video-link from Polmont for a review of his community service order.

Sheriff Craig Harris revoked the order and imposed two months imprisonment to run consecutively to his existing sentence, extending his current term in custody.

The sheriff commented: “When I imposed the community payback order it was an alternative to a period of detention. My fear was you were going out of control. Sadly, that has ultimately proved to be a fear which was realised.”

After avoiding custody for the New Year offending, Hendry went on to commit a shocking offence on an 80-year-old man.