ALLOA Rugby Club defeated Carnoustie with a last-gasp play to keep their unbeaten home record intact.

A late penalty goal by Lee Cairney saw the hosts win by a score of 9-8.

The Earlsfield side reintroduced Alan Keir to the backline after long term injury and also had Robbie Hogg make his first team debut in the centre.

It was a backline full of pace alongside the usual dynamic back row of Pope, Smith and Taylor and Alloa were looking to play an expansive game.

However, heavy underfoot conditions dictated that the match would be destined to become more of a slog.

In the first half Alloa defended strongly and kept Carnoustie well away from the danger zones and it was the home side who created the best scoring opportunity when Hogg and Cairney combined to release Alan Keir wide on the left.

The Alloa wing skidded over the try line to avoid the cover tackle however the match official was undecided and failed to award the try.

It was therefore a solitary Lee Cairney penalty that gave Alloa a 3-0 lead at half time.

Cairney doubled the advantage with a second penalty after the break however the home side were racking up the penalty count against and Carnoustie were gradually taking a grip on affairs.

Martin McKenzie was sin-binned for a word out of place as Alloa struggled to cross the half way line.

Carnoustie then missed two kicks at goal, one of them clipping the outside of a post, before conjuring up what was to be the only try of the match.

Alloa failed to find touch from a scrambled clearance and the Carnoustie pack set up camp on the Alloa line, eventually forcing their way over. The conversion was missed however eventually the Carnoustie goal-kicker found his mark from a penalty that took his side 8-6 clear with time running out.

Brilliant follow up tackling won Alloa a penalty with barely five minutes left on the clock and Cairney calmly slotted a difficult kick in tricky underfoot conditions.

Alloa played the remainder of the match in the Carnoustie twenty two however there was a sense of relief when the referee blew for full time.

The club now have a three week break and will resume their season in St Andrews against Madras on November 27.