AT THE old farmstead at Jerah above Menstrie a tragic incident took place during the summer of 1869.

Andrew Ewing lived at the farmhouse with his wife and family. He was a shepherd but had been unwell for several days, showing signs of mania.

On the night of Sunday 8th August, his wife sent for the doctor, but he refused, complaining there was no available transport to take him to their house.

On Monday, another doctor was sent for.

Ewing's condition was serious but Dr Alexander Paterson, the well-known Bridge of Allan physician, did not hesitate in going to see the ill patient at his remote home.

The messenger who had gone for the doctor led him from Blairlogie up the hill to the farm, along with his driver. During this time Ewing was in bed with his wife attending to him.

When the doctor and the other two men were around 150 yards away, the Ewing children saw them and ran into the house, shouting that the doctor was coming.

Ewing suggested to his wife that they both go downstairs to meet the men and for the doctor to go into the parlour.

When in the hallway, Ewing said to her that she should get a glass of whisky for him.

While she was in the cupboard taking out the bottle, she heard a groan and a heavy fall just outside the door.

She ran out immediately and saw her husband lying with pocketknife stuck in the right side of his neck.

Instead of leaving it, she pulled it out and the blood flowed freely. He got up and started to run out of the house.

She caught up with him at the gate to the property but after a struggle, he freed himself, and headed into the hills, running in the direction for Crunie Glen.

Meanwhile the doctor, the two men accompanying him, along with Ewing's wife and children, ran after the injured man.

They chased him around 200 yards before Mrs Ewing caught him just above a precipice.

He rushed towards to the edge but due to his blood loss stopped and leaned against a tree.

The group tried to secure him with ropes, but he found enough strength to throw himself over the precipice.

He landed on a sandy bank, but the blood loss was too great, and he died a few minutes later. He was 33 years old.

Today Jerah is popular with hillwalkers, many of whom may not be aware of the tragedy that unfolded there in 1869.