A DISABLED man stole alcohol from a Clackmannan store and later threatened a shop worker when he was barred.

Christopher Baird, of Dundas Crescent, Clackmannan, appeared at Alloa Sheriff Court by video-link from prison in a wheelchair.

He admitted that on May 28, at the Co-op, Main Street, Clackmannan, he stole a quantity of alcohol.

On June 7, at the same store, he acted aggressively, shouted, swore, made threats of violence and abusive remarks, all towards a shop worker.

The following day, again at the same store, he stole a can of energy drink.

Depute fiscal Rachel Wallace said in the first incident Baird had stolen a bottle of wine and a case of beer which was detected later using CCTV.

When this was checked the video showed Baird hiding the alcohol in his wheelchair then leaving without paying.

When he returned to the store just over a week later, Baird was told he was barred and became abusive to a staff member saying: "I'm going to punch your c*** in."

Baird then returned to the shop the next day and stole a can of Red Bull.

The 33-year-old also admitted further offending when he and a accomplice were trying to break into cars in Clackmannan.

Baird and Ryan Murray, 34, of Main Street, Clackmannan, both admitted that on July 14, on Zetland Street, they attempted to open three locked vehicles with intent to steal.

Ross McGowan, defending, said Baird, a former serviceman, had a limited recollection of the offences having taken substances.

His client had been on active military service for six years and now has post-traumatic stress disorder.

The solicitor added that Baird had lost a leg at the start of this year.

Sheriff Neil Bowie took all facts into consideration and jailed Baird for a year.

Murray, the co-accused on the July offences, then appeared on the video-link to be sentenced.

He had been released early from a previous jail term and still had time to serve on it.

Sheriff Bowie told Murray: "You have a lengthy record for offences of dishonesty and numerous breaches of orders."

He then jailed him for 300 days.