WILLIAM SCHAW, grandson of Sir James Schaw of Sauchie who built Sauchie Tower, was Master of Works, responsible for all royal palaces and castles, and architect to James VI.

He is thought to have been born around 1550, the son of John Schaw of Brioch, a son of Sir James.

He was an accomplished man and held in the 'highest esteem by his Sovereign, and by all who was honoured with his friendship'.

The restoration of Dunfermline Abbey was left in his capable hands.

He built the steeple and the north porch, some of the buttresses, the roofs of the north and south isles, and part of the west gable immediately above the great western door.

He also planned and built the Queen's House, although this was later demolished by Dunfermline Town Council.

On 21st December 1583, James appointed Schaw his Master of Works and he went on to work at Falkland Palace, Stirling Castle and the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh.

In May 1590 Schaw received £400 to build the Queen's House in Dunfermline.

He had first met Anne of Denmark in 1589 when he had accompanied the king and met his young bride, before returning to Scotland in March 1590 to make repairs to the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh. He was given £1000 to pay for the works.

He was also responsible for the ceremonial greeting of Anne at Leith and for the decoration of Holyrood Abbey for the coronation of the new Queen Consort.

Schaw was responsible for keeping records of the Queen's expenditure, including her purchases of jewels from George Heriot, an Edinburgh goldsmith.

The Queen also asked him to accompany her brother Ulrik when he visited Scotland in 1598 so he took him to Fife, Stirling and the Bass Rock.

On April 18, 1602, Schaw died at Dunfermline after a short illness and was interred on the north aisle of the nave of Dunfermline Abbey where a large monumental tomb was erected.

This was removed in 1794 and placed within the bell ringer's place at the bottom of the steeple. He was 52 years old

Queen Anne commissioned the monument to Schaw in the Abbey which also has the Schaw coat of arms, which he could use.

These show three cups, a reference to Alexander Schaw, William's uncle, who had been granted the hereditary post of Master of the King's Wine Cellar in 1529.

It is thought Schaw added the star to distinguish him from the Sauchie branch of the family.