THE Coalsnaughton Co-Operative Society was created in 1872 with its first president being John Adamson who served until 1909.

During World War I and its aftermath, times were hard, especially so when local miners went on strike.

With money being so tight for households, it affected the Co-op, for the majority of its members were miners.

To ease the pressure, credit was made available to them as they struggled to make ends meet.

This credit was given without any guarantee, but each member who owed the Society money in Coalsnaughton always paid off their debt.

During the 1920s as Coalsnaughton expanded with the council creating additional housing with Blackfaulds Street extending west and following the demolition of Condie's Row, new houses were built creating Ramsay Street.

Expansion west also included Thomson Place and Simpson Drive. This increase in demand saw the Society expand.

A new bakery shop was opened with the grocery department having previously sold bakery goods before 1933.

This was built between the butchery department and the drapery at a cost of £1200 with the drapery taking over the new space and the bakery being housed in the former drapery department.

Structural alterations took place in 1937 to the grocery section at a cost of £3700.

With the outbreak of World War II in 1939 and the introduction of rationing in February 1940, the Co-op had to adapt. People had to register at specific shops so they could use their ration cards for rationed goods such as sugar, eggs and butter.

Following the end of the war in 1945, a small grocer's shop along with seven houses at Alexandra Street in Devonside was put up for sale.

The Co-op, being interested in the premises, put in an offer of £7000 which was accepted, and their new shop opened on February 4, 1946.

The Coalsnaughton branch became ever more successful, leading to good dividends being paid to its members.

Being a member also meant they automatically came under the Co-Operative Insurance Collective Assurance Scheme, which also covered spouses.

People had to buy goods in the year before their deaths, however, and the larger the purchases, the bigger the pay out.

The Co-op also had long serving employees, who found working for them was beneficial in many ways.

Today there is no longer a Co-operative in Coalsnaughton, having closed many years ago. The nearest one to the village is the Tillicoultry branch.

The Coalsnaughton Burns Club is now housed in the former Co-op building.