ON SATURDAY November 21, 1891, noted local amateur historian William Gibson died at his home Rosemount in Tillicoultry. He was 71 years old.

Gibson had been born in Dollar on June 25, 1820, to William Gibson and his wife Mary Wilson, who had married in 1811.

He was one of 12 children, although five died in infancy.

He went on to be educated at the Dollar Institute, later Dollar Academy, until 1835.

That year he left school and went to Dunfermline to do a three-year apprenticeship with draper David Inglis in Bridge Street then went to work for Stewart and McDonald in Glasgow.

In 1839, Gibson returned to Dollar and joined his brother in the family business in a shop opposite the Castle Campbell Hotel on Bridge Street.

They went on to open a sub-branch of the Edinburgh and Leith Bank, which later merged into the Edinburgh and Glasgow Bank.

After almost four years working with his brother, Gibson decided to go it alone, and opened a business in Milnathort.

After around four years there, he was enticed to move to Tillicoultry in 1847, where the woollen manufacturing business was booming.

William Gibonss book, ‘Reminiscences of Dollar, Tillicoultry and other districts adjoining the Ochils,’ was published in 1883

William Gibons's book, ‘Reminiscences of Dollar, Tillicoultry and other districts adjoining the Ochils,’ was published in 1883

His brother-in-law was Robert Archibald who owned the Devonvale Mills, and it was thanks to him, Gibson opened his own business as a wool spinner and manufacturer in 1848. He would remain in that businesses until his death.

In February, 1853, Gibson married Jessie Christie Prentice and the couple went on to have seven children, William, Margaret, James, who died aged four, in 1864, Mary, Jessie, another James and Robert.

His wife predeceased him in August 1874 aged 43.

Although he had many friends and corresponded with many more throughout the world, his time away from the business was dedicated to local history.

He would make notes on events, listen to the tales of locals, and read books and research newspaper articles.

This resulted in Reminiscences of Dollar, Tillicoultry and other districts adjoining the Ochils being published in 1883.

Originally the book was privately circulated, but due to its popularity, it was published generally as a second edition, which became a local best seller.

Gibson was described as a kind man with a generous nature who was always willing to listen to people if they had a problem.

He was one of the Tillicoultry's best-known faces.

He left behind a history that still interests people to this day with its insights into local characters, as well as the history of the local area.