On the north-east side of Menstrie Glen looking towards Dumyat in the Ochils range lies the land known today as Jerah.

It was once known as Gergeiss, Gargraiss, Gargreiss, Jargrays, Jervas or Jarvas and is thought to come from the Gaelic dearg, meaning red as this is the colour of the scree in the area.

There was also once speculation it could come from Jerah in the Bible but this is now thought unlikely.

It originally belonged to the Abbey at Culross, then came under Perthshire, but with the county boundaries being redrawn, it is now in Clackmannanshire.

The land was feued to John Erskine, 5th Lord Erskine, by a charter dated 17th February 1538-39 and it belonged to the Erskine family for nearly 100 years.

The earliest document relating to the land dates from 1635 when they were handed down to John Erskine’s heir, John, 3rd Earl of Mar. He disponed them on September 26, 1635, to William Alexander, 1st Earl of Stirling, and his wife, Janet Erskine.

On June 11, 1649, the lands were acquired by Major General James Holborne, passed on to his son James then on March 14, 1704, the lands were resigned to Sir James Holburne, Holburne’s grandson, who then sold the estate to the Member of Parliament for Banffshire, Alexander Abercromby, of Glassaugh and Tullibody, in 1719. It remained in Abercromby hands for over 300 years.

The land has had a number of owners during the 20th century and in May 2013 the lands were sold by the shepherd who owned it to be used for sustainable forestry.

It is an isolated place, unpopulated by people for many decades. Sheep roam freely. At one time there were three smallholdings in the area of Jerah, dating from the 18th century, although it is believed farming took place there as early as medieval times.

According to the late author Rennie McOwan, it was also once home to a wizard and used by the fairy folk. Between the Crunie Burn and the Third Inchna Burn there are indications that this land was cultivated and there are remains of an old farm steading that was lived in until the mid-20th century, including the main farmhouse, dating from the 19th century, which lies on the east side of the Crunie.

There are also remains of a cart shed but it is unknown what the third building was used for, but it may have been a byre.