IT WAS derby day for the first game of the new season at Tillicoultry Park.

The home side hosted a pre-match lunch and was delighted to welcome the President of Alloa RFC Graeme Kerr as well as Ian McGill and Cllr Derek Stewart on the occasion of the presentation of the McGill Cup.

Bobby McGill, was a long standing local councillor who took a keen interest in local rugby amongst many other interests, and sadly passed away earlier this year.

His friends and family have presented the McGill Cup to the winner of the Hillfoots v Alloa fixture in Bobby's memory.

The action kicked off with Hillfoots Junior squads training, before the stars of the future welcomed the senior teams onto the pitch by forming a guard of honour.

The game commenced with Hillfoots playing down hill, into a very strong wind.

It was Alloa who had the bulk of the ball early on, working their way through many phases before scoring an easy try in the corner. A good conversion followed to make the score 0-7 to the away side.

With the wind playing a large part, Hillfoots struggled to clear their lines, but defended well as Alloa attacked over and over again.

It was strong work from the Hillfoots pack that put them into a position for debutant Jack Urquhart to work his way past the defence from 10 yards out. However, the conversion was missed into the wind.

Alloa had the bulk of the ball for the rest of the half, although the Hillfoots pack was becoming dominant at the scrum, they were still unable to establish field position.

Alloa scored two further penalties in the first half to make the score 5-13 at the break.

Into the second half Hillfoots had the wind at their backs and were soon camped in the Alloa half.

Hillfoots scored a cracking try after great work from the team, Alex Cameron dotting down making the score 10-13.

Hillfoots then started to turn up the pace, and after numerous phases Jon McMurdo went under the post to put Hillfoots in the lead.

The home team were now in dominant form and further tries from Ross Kinnear and Keith Slade secured the bonus point and a final score of 29-13.

Hillfoots patience was a large factor in their success in this derby match, and it was needed.

A large crowd were treated to a great spectacle on the pitch, and the team were appreciative of the positive support. It topped off a great day for the club, with 5 points in the bag to start off the season.

Thanks as ever to the main sponsors, Tillicoultry Quarries.

Next week Hillfoots travel to Ellon in the Caledonia Shield competition, and hope to continue their good start to the season.