ALLOA eased into the semi final of the Caledonia Regional Shield by virtue of a solid performance against a Panmure side who competed well throughout.

Michael Doig gave his side the perfect start by scoring the opening try within the first few minutes and really Alloa held the vast majority of possession and territory throughout the first 40 minutes.

Handling was difficult in the incessant rain and Alloa were thankful for Lee Cairney's accuracy with the boot.

The Alloa goal-kicker landed three penalties before the break helping the scoreboard to tick along nicely.

A fantastic rolling maul led by Adam Sneddon led to Alloa's second try midway through the half.

With all the Panmure fringe defenders sucked in to stop the driving Alloa pack, Fraser Smith slipped away down the blindside and dived over in the corner.

Colin Jess, who controlled the game extremely well from stand-off was the architect of Alloa's third try.

Jess put in a kick deep into Panmure territory and then followed up with a crunching tackle as the visitors tried to counter-attack.

Gary Taylor was first to react to the loose ball and sprinted over for the score. Lee Cairney converted to give Alloa a 26-0 half time advantage.

Playing into the wind in the second period saw Alloa create fewer chances however their set-piece and defence were strong and in general they remained in control – their cause helped by the sin-binning of a Panmure flanker.

However, a penalty shot at goal by Lee Cairney fell just short and Panmure conjured an excellent try initiated in the shadow of their own posts.

Clearly encouraged by getting on the scoresheet, the Broughty Ferry side started to ask a few more questions and had Alloa a little rattled in the closing stages.

Matt Duncan was yellow carded for a word out of turn and the visitors ran in a second try using their extra man.

This proved to be the final score of what ultimately was a pleasing day for the Alloa club.

Alloa return to league duties this Saturday as they welcome Grangemouth to Earlsfield for a 3pm kick off.