MANY OF THEM fought their way from the Wee County by car even when Noah’s Ark would have called it quits at the sight of the rainfall. 

But, not a single one of the brave Wasps who’d ventured to Inverclyde would have had any regrets when Robbie Deas’ stooped to nod home a late leveller in this Morton thriller. 

Not even the most ardent of the Alloa faithful could have seen this coming after they once again endured a torturous five-minute spell up Cappielow without a paddle to give themselves an impossible second-half challenge. 

The Wasps kept their heads, however, and waited until their nervy hosts retreated towards their goal to strike.

Kevin O’Hara’s started the late comeback when he latched onto an arrowed pass over the Ton defence and fired beyond Danny Rogers to give his side a fighting chance. 

And in a night dominated by talk of the boxing ring, they got their just rewards in a modern day thrilla when Deas popped up before being swarmed by his joyous Wasps team-mates. 

Alloa and Hillfoots Advertiser: Kevin Cawley scored a stunner Kevin Cawley scored a stunner

It had all seemed so improbable when a maddening end to a helter-skelter first-half saw the Wasps gift Morton three goals from the same playbook as they threatened to end Alloa’s long unbeaten spell. 

There were plenty of mitigating factors of course and the Biblical weather which put paid to so many games across the country was prime among them. In a week where former Alloa boss Jim Goodwin called for the switch to summer football, you’d bet many of those in black and gold would have been prepared to jump on the latest bandwagon as the half-time whistle sounded. 

The devilish wind certainly wreaked havoc during that spell where Peter Grant’s side went to new lengths to shoot themselves in the foot shortly after a Kevin Cawley screamer had put them ahead. 

First, Deas and Scott Taggart stood still as Luca Coville rose above them to nod beyond the helpless Kieran Wright. Then, Reghan Tumilty was given the freedom of Inverclyde to set himself and stroke a volley into the back of the net. Again, Alloa generously stood by as he did so. 

Somehow even worse was to come and the Wasps’ usually dependable backline had one more charitable act left for their hosts. A hopeful cross was swung in from the left and there was Bob McHugh racing to the front post beyond Alloa’s static defence to prod home a fourth.

A shell shocked Alloa could barely glance the way of the travelling faithful huddled round for warmth. In truth, the second-half of their last trip to this famous old ground aside when Morton dished out a similarly unbelievable 20 minute spell, few could remember a collapse quite like it from the part-timers.

Morton had started by far the stronger of the two sides with McHugh going close and Taggart having to hook the ball off the line even before Kyle Jacobs opened the scoring.  It was a sign of things to come as he rose to head home unmarked. 

But, Alloa have always enjoyed playing in the face of adversity and soon they were the ones shocking their opponents. The Wasps ventured upfield for the first-time in the match and clawed their way into the game. 

A Robert Thomson shot was blocked into Alan Trouten’s path and the veteran took great delight in stroking the ball beyond Rogers for his 13th goal of another productive season.

Kevin Cawley wasn’t prepared to be out done and two minutes later he curled a cracker home to turn the game on its head. 

Then the madness ensued as Alloa’s habit of conceding goals in the air reared its ugly head once again. 

Alloa and Hillfoots Advertiser: Alloa forward Kevin O'Hara continued his fine scoring form Alloa forward Kevin O'Hara continued his fine scoring form

Wherever the defensive problem lies, the Wasps undoubtedly improved after the break and Iain Flannigan’s influence in midfield grew as Grant’s men bravely tried to find a way back into the game.

A nice interchange between O’Hara and Cawley forced Rogers into an unconvincing save, before Trouten swivelled in the middle of the park and unleashed an unstoppable effort the goalkeeper’s way. On that occasion, the bar denied the Wasps. 

At the other end, Nicky Cadden and McHugh continued to twist their way into Deas’ and Taggart’s nightmares, while Wright sprawled to his right to claw a certain fifth off his line. 

But, this is a team which has built its reputation on remarkable moments and the late goals were up there with the most memorable of them. 

Perhaps the best response was saved for the Alloa faithful after the final whistle and this time the Wasps had no such trouble saluting their supporters at the end of another day to remember for the Wee County.