ALLOA secured what could be a huge three points in the race for survival in a five-goal thriller at Palmerston.

With four goals and a red card in the first half followed by a missed penalty, another goal and another red card in the second, the neutrals watching would have loved the drama but for Alloa it was a case of mission accomplished.

Liam Buchanan's excellent second half strike was enough to seal the three points after Alloa came from behind twice in the first half through Innes Murray and Lee Connelly.

The Doonhammers' Ayo Obileye received a straight red card on the stroke of half-time for a late tackle on Ray Grant and Rhys McCabe was also dismissed in the final minutes for throwing an elbow in the direction of Murray.

Alloa started the game strongly with a rotated line-up: Edin Lynch and Lucas Williamson started either side of Andy Graham and Scott Taggart, with Jon Robertson replacing Steven Hetherington next to Grant.

Innes Murray replaced Liam Dick in the starting line-up shortly before kick-off, while Lee Connelly retained his place from the previous week's draw with Inverness.

Following a dominant first 10 minutes where Alloa enjoyed most of the possession, Queens took the lead through Dapo Mebude. A smart through ball by Connor Shields found the run of Euan East who crossed the ball into the box and Mebude made no mistake in smashing it past Parry.

The home side squandered a glorious opportunity to double their lead when Taggart was caught underneath a bouncing ball and Shields nipped in front of him. From a tight angle, he powered the ball towards goal but Neil Parry was equal to the strike and pushed it away.

The Wasps' first real chance of the match fell to the feet of in-form Innes Cameron but the striker couldn't convert. A great burst of pace by Lynch carried the ball into the box and his cross found Cameron, who took one touch and volleyed the ball towards goal, however it struck the crossbar and went out.

Alloa wouldn't have to wait long to get their goal. Kevin Cawley found Connelly on the half-way line who turned and played a great first-time pass to Cameron on the right. Cameron was able to square the ball to Murray who made no mistake in smashing it past Rohan Ferguson.

10 minutes before the break, the hosts reclaimed the advantage. From a promising position, Cawley's stray pass was pounced upon and a great pass picked out the run of Shields. With Taggart over trying to block the cross, Shields' delivery found East who got a yard in front of Grant and headed past Parry.

Shields then went on to rattle the post and the miss would prove costly as Alloa seized the opportunity to break. Graham's clearance found Robertson, who flicked the ball past Obileye and found Cawley.

Cawley passed to Murray who ventured inside and switched the ball to Connelly on the edge of the box. Despite getting the ball caught under his feet, the Queens defenders backed off and Connelly didn't hesitate in firing a rocket into the top corner.

On the stroke of half-time, the home side were reduced to 10 men. A high ball was miscontrolled by Obileye and, trying to control the ball, he caught Grant with his studs showing and referee Greg Aitken barely hesitated before producing the red card.

Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Alloa were gifted a penalty. Grant's lifted ball bounced in front of Willie Gibson and connected with his hand. With Alan Trouten suspended following his red card last week, captain Graham stepped up to take the spot kick but his tame effort was easily saved by Ferguson.

Thankfully the missed opportunity would not prove too costly for the visitors as they finally took the lead on the 76th minute. Grant's pass found substitute Liam Buchanan and with nobody closing him down, he turned and drove towards goal before smashing a low shot past a diving Ferguson.

With a little more than five minutes left, Queens were reduced to nine men. After rolling the ball out of play, Murray was climbing over the back of Rhys McCabe to prevent him taking the throw-in. McCabe then swung an elbow in Murray's direction and left him on the floor and the referee with no choice but to send him off.

The win for Alloa means they are now within four points of safety and five points off sixth. With seven games left, four at home beginning with Dundee this Friday, Saturday's result has given the Wasps a great chance of securing their Championship status for next season.

ALLOA: Parry, Williamson (O'Donnell), Taggart, Graham, Lynch, Robertson, Grant, Cawley, Murray (Jamieson), Connelly (Buchanan), Cameron. UNUSED SUBS: Willison, Evans, Brown, Malcolm