FOOTBALL’S all about perspective.

On the one hand, Alloa’s unbeaten run in the cinch League One now stands at four games – two wins and two draws – a run which includes four of the five teams above them in the league table.

On the other hand, Alloa blew a two-goal lead and three points which would have taken them to joint fifth in the table and just five points from the summit.

However, it’s not all doom and gloom. After a somewhat inconsistent start to life under new manager Barry Ferguson, the Wasps now seem to be finally clicking as a team and all the work on the training pitch and time the manager’s requested seems to finally be paying off.

An almost unchanged starting XI from the previous weekend’s bank robbery of a point against Falkirk started for the visit of Montrose, with just Kevin Cawley returning to the team in place of Craig Howie.

A neat piece of play from Alloa’s forwards almost saw Henderson given an opportunity to add to his great recent goalscoring run. A good switch of play by Cawley gave Steven Boyd the opportunity to slide Mouhamed Niang through and the midfielder’s attempted cut back into Henderson’s path was only just intercepted.

It wouldn’t be long before the Hearts loanee took his first pop at goal. Scott Taggart, driving forward on the right wing as he so often does, pulled the ball back to Henderson who had drifted away from goal outside the box. The shot was easy for the keeper to collect but it showed the confidence the striker is currently playing with.

The next chance would come from a set piece after a lovely little piece of skill from both Boyd and Henderson. Boyd’s quick thinking saw him slide the ball through a Montrose man’s legs before Henderson skipped past another and was cynically chopped down. Boyd was the one to take the free kick but the shot was straight down goalkeeper Aaron Lennox’s throat.

Henderson would shoot again shortly after, again showing his confidence and also that selfishness all strikers seem to have. Cawley’s through ball was pounced upon by the 21-year-old and he turned back onto his left foot and shot but the effort was blocked.

Cawley would then somehow beat the two Montrose centre backs to a Taggart cross and manage to head it towards goal but just past the post.

The first half chance for the visitors fell to the head of Graham Webster as he was able to connect with a corner but the header was straight into David Hutton’s hands.

Shortly after Terry Masson got a toe to a cross and poked it towards goal but thankfully it went wide of the target.

The half-time whistle came with neither team really having any clear cut chances but it wouldn’t take long for the second half to come alive.

Alloa nicked the ball and Boyd was able to break on the left wing. Cutting in onto his right foot, as he so often does, saw the former Peterhead man brought down and Henderson stepped up. The striker’s effort went wide of the post thanks to a deflection.

Boyd then stepped up and delivered a pin point corner which was powered into the net by Mark Durnan for the captain to score his first goal for the club.

Alloa then had a handful of clear chances to double their lead but just weren’t clinical enough. First, it was Boyd who ran onto Charlie Gilmour’s through ball and if the striker hadn’t hesitated he would and should have been able to strike the ball with his left foot towards goal.

Minutes later, in true Boyd style, he cut in from the left wing and powered a vicious shot at goal which Lennox done well to tip over the bar.

The resulting corner saw Boyd’s delivery once again met by Durnan but this time the keeper saved.

However the skipper wouldn’t have to wait long to double the lead. Once again it was Boyd’s corner. Once again it was headed towards goal by Durnan. Once again the ball hit the net.

Henderson had the chance to put the game to bed shortly after but he couldn’t hit the target after running onto Gilmour’s through ball.

The miss would prove costly as shortly afterwards Montrose would halve the deficit. A corner wasn’t dealt with and on the second attempt Paul Watson’s volley was deflected to give Hutton no chance.

A nervy 15 minutes then began and unfortunately Alloa couldn’t hold on.

After defending everything that entered the box, a last minute corner arrived and wasn’t cleared. Matty Allan’s effort at goal took a touch off Cawley and once again left Hutton with no chance and saw the two teams share a point.

ALLOA: Hutton, Taggart, Mendy, Durnan, Robertson, Niang, Gilmour, Boyd (Howie), Scougall, Cawley, Henderson (Sammon). UNUSED: Burt, Church, King, Trouten, O’Donnell