DEPENDING on which way you look at Alloa's result on Saturday, it could either be a good point won or two points dropped.

Alloa, who currently sit eighth in the cinch League One table, travelled to Montrose, who currently sit second in the table.

Since October 30, Alloa have played eight league matches and registered four points.

In the same time period, playing one more game, Montrose have picked up 19 points, including their one from Saturday.

Form would suggest Alloa would be the underdogs, however they won a point away from home against a legitimate title contender. In that senses, it's a good point picked up on the road.

However, once again Alloa took the lead and once again they didn't finish the game as winners.

One of the main problems of Alloa's season so far has been their inability to kill games off.

Away to East Fife, at home against Peterhead and away to Dumbarton are just three examples of the Wasps taking the lead before failing to win the match.

Saturday was no different.

Alloa had chances, make no mistake, and on another day the game may have been out of sight by the 10 minute mark.

Steven Boyd was first to test goalkeeper Allan Fleming with a left footed shot that the keeper saved well.

A couple of minutes later Boyd received the ball from Euan Henderson and drove towards goal before unleashing a tame effort that went well wide of the post. The effort was made worse by the fact that both Conor Sammon and Kevin Cawley were in space either side of him.

Sammon would be the next to have a shot at goal, controlling Jon Robertson's through ball and placing a decent side footed effort just past the post.

Blair Lyons would test David Hutton with a low effort and the keeper was equal to the shot and saved well.

As strong a shot stopper as Hutton is, his decision making is suspect and this was evident once again on Saturday. Coming for a cross, he then hesitated and found himself in no man's land. If it wasn't for Daniel Church's goal line clearance, the Wasps would have been behind.

However, he showed his worth immediately after, reacting well and standing strong to palm away a lethal volley by Sean Dillon from five yards.

At times Alloa showed just how lethal they could be. Andy Graham easily won possession back before drilling the ball into Sammon. His first touch was pounced upon by Boyd who picked the ball up and made his way forward. Beating a man, the ball then fell to Sammon who shot from distance. No goal but a gentle reminder of what this team are capable of putting together.

Just before half time, a perfect move resulted in a goal. Once again the ball from Graham found Sammon. Once again he controlled well. This time it was Cawley who got the ball and played it wide to the marauding Robertson's path. His first time cross was finished by Boyd to put the Wasps in front.

Within five minutes of the restart, Montrose had equalised. Shooting themselves in the foot once again, this time it was Mark Durnan's foot which brought down the Montrose man.

Liam Callaghan stepped up and expertly dispatched the ball past a diving Hutton.

As both teams pushed for an equaliser, the best chance for the visitors fell to Henderson but his effort was blocked well before Robertson fired the rebound into the side netting.

The point at least ends a run of three successive defeats for the Wasps, however their wait for a victory continues.

If they fail to defeat Queen's Park this Saturday, by the time their next league match – against Clyde – comes around, it will be just short of three months since they last picked up three league points.

Thankfully, as it has been all season, the table is tight. Victory on Saturday is crucial for Alloa's fading promotion hopes.

ALLOA: Hutton, Robertson, Graham, Durnan, Church, King, Niang, Boyd, Cawley, Henderson, Sammon. SUBS: Armour, Trouten, Armstrong, O'Donnell, Burt.