ALLOA conceded three goals in the final 10 minutes on Saturday as Dumbarton picked up a huge three points in the battle to avoid the relegation play offs.

The Wasps were involved in a five-goal thriller as they tried to extend their winning run to three games but lost 3-2 to the Sons with the final kick of the game.

Manager Brain Rice had made it clear that the remaining five games of the season were all going to be treated like cup finals as Alloa had the chance to secure their place in League One for another season if they came out on top.

Rice made only one change in personnel to the side that comfortably beat East Fife last Saturday as Daniel Church joined the starting line up. The gaffer also switched the formation around from a back three to a back four as Craig Howie moved over to right back to replace an injured Scott Taggart and Steven Boyd moved out from central midfield to the right wing.

Both sides started the game lively as it was end to end football but Dumbarton lacked any threat in the final third. Alloa came within inches to scoring in the first 10 minutes as a great long-range effort from Conor Sammon saw the ball skim the post as it just went wide.

Stefan Scougall also had a fantastic effort from just outside the box saved by the fingertips of Dumbarton’s keeper Kieran Wright as he tipped the ball on to the crossbar.

Alloa’s initial pressure was well dealt with by Dumbarton’s defence. As the first half progressed the visiting side grew into the game and the Wasps' keeper PJ Morrison was called upon to make a couple of good saves.

Despite the hectic start to the game the first half ended goalless.

Alloa started the second half with some good high tempo football. Within the opening few minutes Boyd managed to knock the ball past the defender and deliver a good low cross to an unmarked Euan Henderson in the six-yard box who poked the ball right at Wright.

A golden opportunity for Alloa to take the lead and one that Henderson usually buries. Around 10 minutes later Scougall delivered an incredible pinpoint chip right over the top of the Dumbarton back line which found Henderson through one on one with the keeper, but the young striker lashed at the ball and completely miss timed his swing. Another wonderful opportunity squandered by Henderson as Alloa could have easily been 2-0 up.

Alloa eventually managed to score courtesy of the Raith Rovers loanee Blaise Riley-Snow with just 10 minutes to go.

Ross MacIver squared the ball to Riley-Snow, who was just outside the box, and glided the ball into the top right-hand corner of the goal.

However, minutes later Riley-Snow went from Alloa’s hero to conceding a penalty as Kristoffer Syvertsen danced past him but was brought down clumsily in the box.

Conner Duthie stepped up to the penalty spot and smashed it into the left corner as Morrison dived the wrong way. Two minutes later Dumbarton doubled their lead as a great ball in by Callum Wilson found Duthie at the back post whose glancing header sailed past Morrison.

Alloa’s defending on the lead up to the goal was poor as Mark Durnan was caught flat footed and Cameron O’Donnell couldn’t get in front of Duthie to contest the header.

With 90 minutes on the clock and Alloa searching for an equaliser Scougall was brought down in the box as he nipped the ball off the toes of George Stanger who kicked Scougall’s legs out from underneath him.

The penalty was awarded and Scougall, who scored from the penalty spot the week previously, stood over the ball once again. Scougall fired the ball into the bottom corner sending Wright the wrong way.

It looked like Alloa had salvaged a draw but there was to be one last twist in a thrilling end to the match.

With four minutes of added time played Dumbarton scrambled a late winner as Paddy Boyle’s cross was headed goal wards by Eoghan Stokes but was cleared off the line.

The ball then bounced off the crossbar and then was headed back in by Syversten as Alloa's defence was caught flat footed once again.

A manic ending as Dumbarton secured all three points with the last kick of the game as it ended 3-2. It’s Alloa’s second loss since Rice took over and it was a game with some positives to take away as the Wasps are starting to play better football.

With four games left promotion is certainly out of Alloa’s reach and relegation is almost similar, but the Wasps seem to be determined to end the season on a high as they owe it to the fans who haven’t had much to cheer about this season.

ALLOA: Morrison, Howie, Church (O'Donnell), Graham, Durnan, Robertson (Riley-Snow), Cawley (King), Scougall, Boyd (MacIver), Sammon, Henderson. UNUSED: Hutton, Armstrong, Armour