NOTHING beats a last minute winner.

With the time running out and Clyde doing everything they could to stop the bleed that is their losing streak, Alloa got their just rewards.

Every manager says they want to win every game. Many managers try their best. Brian Rice is stubborn in his beliefs. A draw isn't good enough. Why draw when you could at least try to win?

That's why Alloa won the match. That's why Alloa ended the match with four strikers on the pitch. That's why Alloa are so exciting to watch these days.

Following their victory against Peterhead the previous week, Rice made one enforced change – David Devine dropped out of the squad through injury and was replaced by youngster Paul McLaren.

Clyde were on a nine game losing streak in the league, their only victory in their previous 10 matches coming in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

Alloa's first decent effort on goal came from an unlikely source. Daniel Church's effort from distance was saved by former Wasp Neil Parry but he could only palm the ball into Conor Sammon's path. The striker, after putting the ball wide, was thankfully offside.

It would take Alloa less than 10 minutes to open the scoring. A brilliant run by Church saw him drift into the box to attempt a cross but his effort was cleared. As Clyde looked to break Kevin Cawley not only blocked their attempted long ball but kept the ball in play and skipped by Ross Lyon.

Cawley's cross was blocked by Brian McLean but only into the path of Luke Donnelly. His shot was on target but it was a wicked deflection off Peter Grant that took the ball past Parry into the back of the net.

Around five minutes later Alloa should have doubled their lead. Once again Church and Donnelly were involved. Church's lofted clearance was controlled expertly by Donnelly – not for the first or last time during the match – and he then lifted his head to slip Bradley Rodden through. He was able to take the ball around a diving Parry but unfortunately the angle was against him and his effort went wide of the post.

Clyde would put the ball in the net but referee Steven Kirkland gave a foul after Jay Hogarth was challenged in the box. Not long after Clyde would score again and this time it would count.

Euan Cameron's cross took a deflection and fell to Kurtis Roberts on the edge of the box. He took a brilliant touch to set himself up before lashing a half volley into the far corner. Hogarth got close but the strike was too good.

Rice would admit after the match that Alloa were spooked by the equaliser and he was glad to get to half time. The Wasps came out from the break with Craig Howie replacing McLaren at right back.

The second half's first chance fell Alloa's way. Cawley linked up well with Sammon, playing a nice one-two together before Cawley floated a cross into the box. Donnelly lost his man and got a strong head on the ball but could only flash it wide.

As the game trundled towards its climax Rice rung the changes. Kieran Offord and Ross MacIver replaced Sammon and Rodden before Cammy O'Donnell took the place of Murray Miller. The final change would see Steven Buchanan replace Cawley.

Clyde had chances in the second half with Ray Grant's long range effort going wide of the post. Morgaro Gomis also tried from distance and this time Hogarth was called into action, getting down well to save.

However, as the game reached the final few minutes Clyde had their eyes firmly on that one point. Their intentions were summed up by Parry collecting a loose ball and slowly going to ground to kill a few seconds.

Buchanan's energy in the dying minutes gave Paul Kennedy a problem and his lazy tackle saw him receive a second yellow card.

Ninety-two minutes and thirty-three seconds were on the clock when Alloa scored their winner. Captain for the day Scott Taggart's floated delivery was met by Howie and his header looped into the air. Buchanan did enough to stop Ross Cunningham from getting a strong connection with the ball and it fell kindly to Donnelly who showed great awareness to turn and shoot, leaving Parry rooted to the stop.

The potential for a bogey was there with Clyde's run coupled with manager Danny Lennon being placed on "paid authorised absence". Alloa had to be professional and they were. Even with time running out they continued to play their football and got the reward in the end.

The result means the Wasps are now in fourth, just six points off leaders Dunfermline who have already defeated Rice's men twice. Looking down the way Alloa are six points above eighth placed Kelty Hearts.

This league will be tight and every point is crucial. Why settle for a draw when there's potential for three points? Who knows how crucial those points may be come May next year.

ALLOA: Hogarth, Taggart, Sammon (Offord), Church, Miller (O'Donnell), Cawley (Buchanan), McLaren (Howie), Rodden (MacIver), Stanger, Robertson, Donnelly. UNUSED: Muir, Graham, King, Rankin