Hillfoots RFC narrowly came out on top as the squad took victory over Caithness RFC in a tight and nervy game at Public Park on Saturday.

The home side came out the stronger on Saturday, December 18, and were in the ascendancy for the opening quarter.

'Foots were given the advantage early on as Caithness had a man sent off for a high tackle on winger Alex Cameron.

Following a lineout that was not straight, the pack dominated the visitors in the ensuing scrum. Electing for another scrum, ‘Foots were maintaining the pressure on Caithness but just couldn’t get across the line.

Caithness were temporarily put down to thirteen men after another player was shown a yellow card after a number of penalty infringements inside their own twenty-two.

Hillfoots utilised the numerical advantage and launched an attack down the right from the scrum. The ball was quickly passed between Fraser Christie and Callum Williamson, allowing Ryan Butterworth to finish in the corner.

The home side’s lead was narrowed after the visitors were awarded a penalty in front of the sticks which they opted to kick.

Iain Anderson and Gregor Lumsden managed to make good runs between them, but tight defending from Caithness thwarted any chances created.

A loose offload gifted a Caithness defender the ball who passed it out wide. A missed tackle allowed the inside centre to breeze in under the posts. The visitors’ conversion was successful and they took the lead.

After 25 minutes had passed, ‘Foots got back into the game after Keith Slade scored a brilliant try reminiscent of club legend Sandy Penman. The hooker threw to the front, claimed the ball back before sending the winger flying in an attempted tackle. Slade gunned over the line to bring the score back level. The resulting conversion was just a fraction wide.

Jordan Usher was the next man to be sent to the sin bin for three penalties in quick succession. Caithness capitalised on this in front of the posts and the visitors went into the break with the advantage at 10-13.

Following penalty after penalty in the first half, both teams came out looking to avoid giving the other team the advantage.

Caithness slipped up and the home side were awarded a kickable penalty which Gregor Manson whipped over to bring the score level once again.

A line-out followed inside Caithness’ twenty-two, the ball was passed out to stand-off Danny Cockroft who managed to glide through the defence and dot down the left side of the posts. Hillfoots regained the lead.

With only five minutes left to play, Hillfoots looked to shut up shop but the visitors secured another kick but luckily for the home side, Caithness missed.

‘Foots saw the game out and the match ended with the home side the victors at 20-18.

Aidan Kerr was awarded man of the match for a brilliant all-round performance, one to remember on his 28th birthday.

The 1st XV will travel to face Woodside on Saturday, December 10.