ALLOA had to settle for a draw on Friday as a second-half penalty earned them a point.

Brian Rice's side went ahead through a spectacular Kieran Offord solo effort before Clyde took the lead thanks to goals from Euan Cameron and Jordan Allan.

The Wasps then equalised through Scott Taggart's dubious penalty. Whether it crossed the line or not is debatable but the assistant said it did and Alloa won't complain.

There was a couple of welcome additions to Alloa's starting line-up at New Douglas Park. George Stanger finally made his return while Jon Robertson also made the first 11. Offord was also handed a start.

Stefan Scougall, who was in the matchday squad and set to start, had to pull out before kick-off due to a family issue.

Clyde came into the match on the back of a winless run in the league that stretched back all the way to August 13, a run of 14 games which included two defeats to Alloa.

It was the hosts who threw the first punch. Taggart, starting as a centre back on Friday night and sporting the captain's armband, didn't quite manage to get the ball out of his feet and that gave the opportunity for Allan to steal a yard and smash a shot at goal, forcing Jay Hogarth into a save with just minutes on the clock.

Two minutes later and Alloa produced a fantastic piece of play. Despite being pinned down in the corner, Kevin Cawley, Robertson and Murray Miller all combined to play themselves out of trouble before Murray found Offord in his own half. Extremely direct, he turned and carried the ball through Clyde's full half before going down in the box but the referee wasn't interested in the half-hearted appeal.

Allan continued to trouble but Stanger and Taggart combined to deal with him, Stanger using his pace to come across and cover and Taggart using his experience to shield him off the ball.

Twenty minutes had gone when Alloa took the lead. Daniel Church simply wanted a bouncing ball more than his man and was then able to poke it into the path of Offord. He was too strong for his marker, brushed him aside and drove into the box, cutting inside onto his right foot and sending Parry the wrong way.

"He was excellent tonight," Rice said as he reflected on Offord's performance. "He's just been biding his time, he's coming off the bench and making an impact.

"I just thought [Friday night] was the perfect opportunity for him to start and show us what he's got and he done that. He scored a really good goal and he was dangerous when he got the ball and was driving at the opposition.

"I'm absolutely delighted with the young man. We've got to remember he's only 18 years old. It was good for him to get a goal and 90 minutes."

Another free flowing Alloa move minutes later should have seen them double their lead. Taggart fired a ball into Offord's feet and he laid it off to Church who sent Ross MacIver down the line. Similar to Offord, MacIver cut inside on his right and fired a shot at goal only for it to be blocked by Brian McLean.

Despite being on top, Alloa would go into the break behind. Clyde equalised through Cameron who saw his shot deflect off Stanger and wrongfoot Hogarth. A long ball over the top then beat an outstretched Taggart before Allan got past Stanger to rifle a shot off the bar. With both Stanger and Hogarth getting up off the ground, Allan was quicker to react than Cawley and volleyed it into the net.

Rice said: "We scored a goal, we should have been solid for 10 [or] 15 minutes but we lost two poor goals again through the middle of the defence and that's worrying again."

Allan would go on to score a second in the second half but he was judged to be offside.

The Wasps would receive their chance to equalise through the clumsiness of Peter Grant. MacIver controlled the ball with his chest and as it looped into the air, Grant tried to head it clear and headed MacIver in the back off the head, conceding a penalty.

Taggart stepped up to take the spot-kick and, against his former teammate Parry, smashed it off the underside off the crossbar and over the line.

"I asked them to go and win the second half and they done that," Rice said. "We've come away from home and got a point. We could have lost the game, we could have won the game. I thought the second half effort was tremendous to get back in the game.

"We've come and got a point and we're a point better off than we were."

In the end neither side could gain the advantage and they shared the spoils. The point meant Alloa spent Christmas sixth in the table and they will host Kelty Hearts on New Year's Eve. Without a league win since November 12, three points would be the perfect way to see out the year.

ALLOA: Hogarth, Cawley, Taggart, Stanger, Church, Miller (O'Donnell), Robertson, King (Rodden), MacIver, Sammon (Buchanan), Offord. UNUSED: Muir, Graham, Howie, Durnan, Rankin, McLaren